Tips On Growing Kniphofia (Red Hot Poker)
Kniphofia (Red Hot Poker) is a genus of showy perennials native to southern Africa, with most species found in the Republic of South Africa.
Preferred growing conditions:
- Red Hot Pokers thrive in a wide range of soils including clay. Plant them in full sun.
- Mulch with common mulching materials in arid climates.
- Water regularly the first growing season to establish the plants. Once established, they only need occasional deep soaking in hot, dry weather.
- Deadhead the plants after blooming to keep the plants looking tidy, but they generally will not come back into bloom.
- Fertilize lightly in the fall with a half and half blend of Yum Yum Mix and good quality compost.
- These perennials are highly attractive to hummingbirds.
- Kniphofia will re-seed themselves and should be deadheaded if volunteer plants are not wanted.
- Plants are easily divided in early to mid-spring if they get too large for their space, or if new plants are needed.
View more Planting Guides
, or download our complete Planting Guide
for tips on caring for your plants when you receive your order, as well as planting instructions for Perennials, Spring-Planted Bulbs, Fall-Planted Bulbs, Cacti & Succulents, Xeric Plants and more.